I have had requests to put Millennial Jesus (or Hipster Jesus as some of you call Him) on a shirt. I thought long and hard about it and spent more than a couple moments in prayer. Truthfully, I hate the idea of monetizing Jesus which made this a struggle. What I finally decided is that Jesus came to this planet to start something amazing, and we have the opportunity to be part of that work… that Kingdom of Heaven touching earth kind of work.
Maybe… Just maybe, this shirt (and book) can be part of that.
So This Is How That Works
First and foremost, I made the shirts as affordable as possible. They are sweatshop free (Made in the USA) which is a big deal to me and they are made of high-quality fabric with amazing print quality. So no I won’t be getting rich and no, as far as I have seen no person will be taken advantage of in the production of these shirts.
Ok… Had to get that out there…
Back to how this isn’t monetizing Jesus, but could potentially be something that is more about being a better follower of Him:
IF YOU BUY A BOOK, A SHIRT, A MUG OR WHATEVER, YOU MUST PROMISE ME YOU WILL DO THE FOLLOWING THINGS TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY:
- DON’T BE A JERK ABOUT IT: There are gonna be people out there who think it’s super disrespectful, even sacrilegious to make Jesus look like a Millennial Hipster. Jesus said: Treat others how you would want to be treated (Matthew 7:12). Don’t be a jerk to them, try to authentically represent Jesus and heed his words.
- HAVE HONEST AND HEARTFELT DISCUSSIONS WITH PEOPLE WHO SEE YOU WEARING IT: The point is to shift our focus back to Jesus. Far too often we make Jesus look like us, we fit Him into a nice neat little box where we can pull Him out when it’s convenient. This is the “Why” behind the cover of the book in the first place (check out the whole story here). So, be willing to have honest conversations about Jesus, about what He means to you, and be ready to give an answer to what the shirt you are wearing is all about (1 Peter 3:15).
- BE CROSS-GENERATIONAL IN YOUR CONVERSATIONS: The Church was started by Jesus, and He wanted all of us to be part of it. However, we break stuff, we divide ourselves based on any number of labels, so let’s do our best to stop letting age be one. If you’re a youngin like me, then be willing to patiently explain what a millennial is, or even a hashtag (1 Timothy 4:12). If you’re a more “seasoned” individual and you want to rock a shirt, then God bless you! Church is best when all ages participate, and this whole book/shirt/story is an attempt to do something about the problem of millennials not participate in a church Jesus started.
- HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR: You know why church sucks sometimes? It’s because people get butthurt and hold grudges. We need a little less of that and a little more smiles and laughter (Proverbs 17:22).
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, BE LIKE JESUS!!!!!!!!: If you want to know what that’s about then take a look at Matthew 5-7. It’s his first sermon and he has a lot to say.
Basically, I’m asking you to Love Loudly… To go out in the world being Holy Troublemakers who are unafraid of “preaching the gospel at all times and when necessary, using words.” It’s about being like Jesus!!!!!!
If we can all participate in this, partnering in the good work of a God who loved us enough to give us Jesus, then He can never be “just a shirt.”
Instead, we will continue to be part of His revolutionary movement founded on the sacrificial grace-filled love of a Savior.
So do you promise?
Matthew 5:37 (CEB)
37 Let your yes mean yes, and your no mean no. Anything more than this comes from the evil one.
Until Next Time…